Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My first touch screen table

So after having my interest sparked by a couple video's online... I decided to take the plunge with Matt and make one for ourselves. Ive been following the concept since Microsoft released "surface" back in 03... but never really got the drive to do it myself. After doing research on it, I found out how easy it is and my mind started going crazy with ideas!

First up... we are doing an LLP (laser light plane) technique. This involves shooting a laser beam just above a surface. The laser generates IR light which is invisible to the human eye and when you put your finger on the surface, the laser hits your finger and reflects down into the table where a camera with special filters see's the IR reflection as a "blob". Special software translates that blob into a "click" of sorts... or other actions depending on what you do.

Matt had an old glass top coffee table in his basement that was chewed up on one corner by his dog. I took the glass home to test and prepare. I had a PS3 camera sitting around being practically unused... so donated that to the cause along with a PLUS V3-131 projector that Matt had. After researching I ordered the lasers, camera filter and lense.

The 4 lasers are 850nm 5mW with 120 degreen line generators
2.1mm fisheye lense for the camera with an M12 mount and 850nm filter
Projector is a PLUS V3-131 short throw DLP projector
Surface is an old coffee table with a tinted glass top and wooden legs/frame
Diffuser is some tracing paper

Ill definately need a mirror in this setup so I will be hitting walmart for a reverse facing mirror and some aircraft paint stripper. There is a post up on the NUI forums that outline using the paint stripper to remove the backside of the mirror so that you can turn it into a front facing mirror. Front facing keeps you from getting "ghost" images and buying one outright is expensive as hell. The mirror size calculated out to be a 53cmX47cm square but I will probably get something bigger...
I have a couple ideas for mounting the projector and mirror, but I can't play with them until I can get the remote for the projector as well as a cable to hook up to a machine for testing.
So far the basic layout as a starter is:

No comments:

Post a Comment